« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jackie Robinson

Pitcher's Family PISSED

Over Racist Portrayal in '42'

4/30/2013 6:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0430_fritz-ostermueller_chapman
The daughter of a MLB pitcher who threw at Jackie Robinson's head in the movie "42" tells TMZ ... producers blatantly disregarded the truth and unfairly portrayed her dad as a racist.

It was one of the most important scenes in the flick ... big, bad Fritz Ostermueller (pitching for the Pittsburgh Pirates at the time) fired a baseball at Jackie's head ... and then shouted at him, "You don't belong here!!!"

Problem is ... Fritz never beaned Jackie in the head in real life -- according to multiple reports at the time of the incident, the ball struck Jackie's arm.

Now, Fritz's daughter, Sherrill, is lashing out to TMZ -- "The producers of ‘42’ certainly owe my father an apology. If they were going to portray my father falsely, they should have used a fictional name."

0429_fritz_ostermueller_sub2Sherrill wants to make it clear -- her beef is NOT with Jackie ... "I have the deepest respect for Jackie Robinson and the courage he had to change baseball.”

However, Sherrill says producers have damaged her father's reputation beyond repair -- she tells us he was a "good man" who was never as angry or violent as he was portrayed in the movie.

We asked Sherrill if she believed her father was a racist -- to which she replied, "My dad, to my knowledge, was not a racist. I was not raised in that type of home."

We reached out to the people behind the movie -- so far, no word back.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

well duhhh

OKAY SO HE BEANED HIM IN THE ARM NOT THE HEAD.... STILL A RACIST! lol.......

Poopsi47

He was racist,

youdontknowme

I'm black. I don't care if you call me ******, or anything in that matter. My family slaved, fought for freedom and got it. Even though black people been through it all, we've felt the biggest victory. Not all white people are racist. At the end of the day, if any racist person were to call me a ******, I'd smile. Because I'm happy with my generation's past...racist people must not be happy with theirs. If blacks stop acting offended maybe racist people will shut up. Just maybe.

Black

The truth hurts

susan

Was he a racist?

susan

Never heard of this guy

susan

But I HATE racist people

susan

Racism is the core of all thats bad

susan

Who cares about colour of a persons skin?

susan

My parents were wonderful people

susan

They never pointed out any differences, why should they?

susan

Being a racist is being afraid

susan

God bless people who ignore the racist rants.

Dumas

Well wasn't it the truth or are you all blind?

lylakoimoon

The only reason it didn't hit him in the head was because he put his arm up. I took this from an article written in 1997 :

"On May 17, when Pittsburgh pitcher Fritz Ostermueller nearly beaned him with a rising fastball—it struck Robinson's arm as he jerked it up to shield his head—the Dodgers in the dugout rose to their feet, gathered on the steps and peppered Ostermueller with threats and profanity. In the May 24 Pittsburgh Courier, Robinson's closest friend among the writers, Wendell Smith, wrote, "It was then that they displayed, probably for the first time, that they regard him as one of them."

Not too far from the truth. I've seen history butchered worse than this. She needs to calm down.