Paula Deen

Food Network Gives Her

THE AX

6/21/2013 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
5:10 PM PT -- Paula has just released a statement, thanking the Food Network for 11 "great years." She said, "Because of the gift the Food Network gave me, I've had the pleasure of being allowed into so many homes across the country."

gray-bar-update
Paula Deen
's goose has been cooked at the Food Network.  Officials tell TMZ they are not renewing her contract, which expires at the end of this month.

Paula apparently was done in for her comments during a deposition in a civil lawsuit, in which she freely admitted to using the N-word in the past.

Deen issued an apology this morning that bordered on ridiculous -- it was heavily edited and frankly insincere.

She issued a second apology shortly before the Food Network said it would not renew her contract.

0621_paula_deen_happier_footer

2074 COMMENTS

txjones7

who gives a $het every black person uses the N word daily!!!

Barbara Good

Wow...what comments everyone has. I stand by her and always will. It's ok for people to call white people cracker and white trash but let someone say the N word and blacks want to go crazy and sue. It sucks how a certain race can get away with trashing a race but other races trash them it's a crime. Please, give me a break. It's ok for one but not the other. Yep this world is screwed up.

Charles

Way over the top reaction by Food Network. She was honest. I have lived in the South all my life. In the 50's & 60's it was a common word and replaced by the word colored.

My father employed about 40 Black, negro, colored, N ---- whatever word you wished to use. but they were simply all people; just as much as Italian, Polish, irish or French or any other nationality.

When I was 9-12 yrs old I would say I used it frequently but not in any bad way. That was no different then that black now, just simply referred to a race. I played with their children and we even used it amongst ourselves, never with ill will.

Do I use it now? NO! Times have changed and so have I. The terms have also evolved, just as colored is no longer used.

The way I look at it and I suspect Paula does too, is they are Americans. When it comes to race they are black now. I do not recognize the term African-American unless you can point out to me where the country Africa America is. Nor do I recognize Polish American, Italian American or Irish American. We are all American.

FLO

OVERKILL BY FOOD NETWORK !
she is a 66 year old woman who grew up in the south when dark skinned people could not use the same water fountain as whites; Who has not told a joke that is offensive to some but hilarious to others? Leave her alone and accept her apology cos she sure got educated ..

BARRY

Isn't it interesting the music industry can use the N word in their songs, African -American community can call each other the N word and no one gets upset...but let a little celeb chef use the N word and the world comes to an end...we all need to get a grip!!! Get over it !!

Sandra

So, the first thing you say when someone has a gun to your head is a racial slur? What if the guy had been white?

andi

Overreaction - something's not right about this one - people have said and done much worst than what Paula's being ACCUSED of - and SHE'S getting the raw deal....

Sly

Once the rappers stop using the N-word than that is when we should all care about that bad word!

Patsy Fazio

It is a shame that some people have nothing to do but make nasty remarks about other people. Have they ever heard.." Let you who are without sin cast the first stone." Paula overcame many bumps in the road to provide for her children. Maybe the one with the bad mouths are envious of her status.

Keith

Fake? The Rap music coming from the Black artists are thousands times WORSE that maybe the one time Paula used the N word.

paul a.

all this means is that dont expect truthful answers from people.
she apologized. that should have been enough

Teeta

This is so stupid, and a complete overreaction. Do people not realize she is from South Georgia where years ago the N-word was extremely common place.
You can't change history.

Teeta

Completely stupid, over reaction. I'm sorry people but she is from south Georgia. And back years ago the N-word was extremely common and used frequently.
This is ridiculous, you can't change history.

JET

This world has gone mad. I hear one black after another use the word every night on the comedy channel but if a white person does it its racist. What is racist is the double standard held by blacks on this issue and the tree hugging, flag burning, baby killing liberals that support this nonsense. It is a word, if there is no discrimination attached to it, move on and get over it.

Brian

For all of us to evolve and become more humane to each other, some of us may have to pay a price for the entire society to improve. In this case Paula pays that price. But she will be fine and all of the rest of us have learned an important lesson. You may not realize it now Paula, but you have helped us more than any of your recipes ever could.