Amanda Bynes

Parents Say Rehab Facility

Is What She Needs

9/30/2013 11:36 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0930_amanda_bynes_01

Amanda Bynes has been moved from the psych ward of a major hospital to a ritzy rehab place in Malibu for her own good ... so say her parents.

Rick and Lynn Bynes are responding to our story that Amanda was moved 3 weeks ago from the UCLA Medical Center to The Canyon rehab facility in Malibu.

Amanda's parents -- through their lawyer Tamar Arminak -- say the move was on the advice of doctors at UCLA, and that she is making "great strides towards recovery."

Sources close to Amanda tell TMZ, "Amanda was stuck with people in much worse condition than her.  She was scared, afraid and did not leave her immediate room area."  The lawyer adds, at the rehab place, "She is getting specialized psych care, one on one treatment, not drug rehab."

Our source says Amanda is able to walk around the grounds, see the ocean and ride the horses.

And, sources say, UCLA costs $50k more a month to house Amanda.  That means she's paying $55k a month at The Canyon.

Amy

RE: And, sources say, UCLA costs $50k more a month to house Amanda. That means she's paying $55k a month at The Canyon.
From the above statement it would seem that The Canyon would be $50k LESS than UCLA. Am I missing something?

Lsmsr

Having gone through this with my own child, I applaud the parents for two reasons: 1. Continuing to do what is best for their child under intense scrutiny, and 2. Being open about her illness.
There is a HUGE stigma associated with mental illness. We give crack addicts (Lamar Odom) the spotlight when they have a choice in their behavior. Amanda currently, does not. It is time to stop being silent and afraid of what others think. The more open we are, the less frightening it will be and MAYBE TREATMENT WILL BECOME EASIER TO GET. I only wish Britney Spears parents had thought what speaking out could have done for others.
Good luck to Amanda and her family. It's a long hard road, but she's alive to take the journey.

tmz addict

just another patient..........

Philmapinis

I was in the room next to Amanda at the UCLA hospital. She's super sweet. I used to draw her murals on the common area wall everyday using my own doo-doo as finger paint.

Socal

TMZ, I think you really used poor and thoughtless judgement when making the decision to name the facility she is staying at. You could very well negatively affect her recovery process. If I see you around weho Harvey you can bet I will tell you this in person

Debbie Alexander

I am rooting for you Amanda-Please get well soon. Great actress-I have watched every movie you have been in.

Alisa Kent

I am so glad she is getting the help she needs. I think the pressure of being a celebrity is part of what went wrong with her. Hopefully, she will come back strong and willing to entertain us again. She is such a talent. I wish the media would lighten up on those that really need it.

Pete

People are saying that she is both Bipolar and Schizophrenic which I don't believe. It's extremely rare to have both disorders. Some of the features are very similar but Schizophrenia and Bipolar don't usually present itself at the same time to an individual.

I believe that she is just suffering from Psychosis. A psychotic episode can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few years depending on the severity. She clearly has a lot of emotional problems that she bottled up for the sake of her career and reputation.

I also feel that the problems didn't just surface out of nowhere. She began to lose it in 2010 and we all witnessed it on twitter.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3