Writer Sues -- My Agent Stole My 'Lottery Ticket'

8/12/2010 4:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ice Cube's new movie  "Lottery Ticket" doesn't come out for another week -- but there's already a legal fight over the flick ... from a screenwriter who claims his agent ripped off his idea and gave it to another one of his clients.

0811_lil_bow_bow_lottery_ticket_EX

The man filing the lawsuit is Tom Huang -- who once wrote an episode of "The Mullets" back in 2003.

According to legal documents, Huang claims he came up with an idea for a movie back in 2004, wrote a "treatment" for it ... and talked it over with his agent Brad Kaplan.

But in the lawsuit, filed Wednesday in L.A. County Superior Court, Huang claims Kaplan "stole" the idea and gave it to one of his clients named Erik White .. who went on to write and direct "Lottery Ticket."

Huang claims "Lottery Ticket" ripped off all sorts of elements from his movie -- including "detailed plot elements, characters, and scenes." Huang is suing for an undisclosed amount -- but states in the lawsuit that he believes "Lottery Ticket" will rake in millions ... so it's safe to say he's gonna want a ton of cash.

In the docs, Huang claims that the agent Brad Kaplan denies any wrongdoing -- and believes White "created the story" for Lottery Ticket.

thatirishguy

Has the writer never heard of a lil ol movie called "UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT"??

cher

@jimmy shut the **** up you white trash..know wants to sample your country music, stop commenting on black articles if your so jealous of us...you sarah palin lover

Adeline Thomas

I its definitely more about principal and getting paid for the work that you've done. Whether the movie sucks or not, being a screenwriter in LA is hard enough without your own manager screwing you out of your own ideas.

Tony

I'm sorry but after just watching the commercials you would have to pay me to watch this movie, Ice Cube really needs to stop coming out with trash!!!!

bennettmufson

The N.Y mega-millions is now 75,000,000 so if anyone at T.M.Z
reads this in time they can call there N.Y crew to buy some tickets for staff etc.
You have around 3 hrs. left.
Good-luck.

L

I will never forget the time I saw ICE CUBE at a Louis Farrakhan benefit singing to a live audience about the WHITE DEVIL. I refuse to watch any production having any association with Ice Cube.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2