Martha Stewart

Hospitalized

After Dog Headbutt

1/13/2011 7:44 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Martha Stewart needed 9 stitches to close up a bloody gash on her upper lip this week after her dog accidentally headbutted the domestic goddess in the face.

0113_martha_stewart_photo_launch
Martha was getting ready to leave her NY home Tuesday when she leaned over to "whisper goodbye" to her dozing french bulldog, Francesca. But Martha says she must have "startled" the dog, because Franny shot upwards and hit Martha in the face ... busting her lip open.

Martha says she "felt a bit of whiplash as blood gushed forth from [her] split lip."

Unable to stop the bleeding herself, Martha first called police to ask for a ride ... before remembering that she had a driver on standby.

Martha eventually made it to the emergency room -- where she was promptly sewn back up.

See also

Megadeth

The dog must've thought she was gonna stick it with a shiv. At least now she can use her lip as a nice place setting for a lovely holiday meal, and that's a good thing.

nutmeg

Who the f took this picture? God people are idiots.

Shmuck

Is the dog ok?

JLS

This exact same scenario happened to me. I startled one of my dogs by trying to kiss her when she was sleeping and she raised her head butting me in the mouth. I bit my tongue and it bled for a long time. She felt terrible and so did I!

I guess if someone approached me when I was sleeping and whispered or trying to kiss me, I'd be startled as well. I should have known better and so should Martha. I wish her a painless recovery and no scar!

Andrea

I don't think that's even going to leave a mark. If you have to have stitches, the lip is the ideal location. Hurts like hell, bleeds like crazy, but heals beautifully. Trust me.

Buttons

That is not a headbutt from a dog... even a little dog. There would be alot more brusing on the lip. It looks more like a canine tooth injury when she put her face close to the dog's ear from behind & caught her unaware. She whipped her head around & got her. No big deal... you live & learn.

fargone

Poor dog. Hope he doesn't have a booboo.

Nancy

I got a black eye from my dog when I leaned over him to see what he was staring at on the floor. He whipped his head up and bang. Things like this do happen.

T.....RN

What about the "other" scratches on her face- her nose and her left cheek. I guess we are to believe those were from the "headbutt too". Bull that dog BIT her. Why Lie about it Martha?

cekeste

Dang! For an ER trip she looks great!

Sonja

Sorry , that's not a head butt from a French Bulldog, it's a snap from a sleeping dog that was startled... I get why she said it was a head but...her dog, she knew she startled the sleeping dog by leaning her face in and talking. No harm no foul... She's good though knowing people would bitch and whine, she put her dog first. Good for her. :D

silver bullet

Glad to see the cut was minor and she should heal well by the look of it to the bulldog she really is.......gives the phony some much needed character..................They say dogs really know about the REAL character of their owners and act accordingly.......good job Fido.....

EDITA ON STEROIDS

ooooooh OFFICER, OOOOOOOH OFFICER. Get her staat, my poochie has been startled and now im bleeeeding ohhh. oh wait, geeves is here never you mind..go back to minding the commoners.ooooooooooh geeeves ohh

EDITA ON STEROIDS

my poochie didnt bite me he head butted me, yes thats the ticket. dont put him down

TheMachine1

My dog has busted my lip with an unintentional headbutt also.