« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dallas Cowboys Player

Dies in Car Wreck

Teammate Arrested

12/8/2012 11:57 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1208-josh-brent-mug
Jerry Brown, a linebacker on the Dallas Cowboys practice squad, died early this morning in a single-car accident -- and his teammate, Josh Brent, was arrested on charges of intoxication manslaughter.

According to police, Brent (see above) was driving at a high rate of speed at around 2:20 AM when his car "hit the outside curb," flipped over and came to rest in the middle of the road.

When cops came to the scene, Brent was dragging Brown away from the vehicle ... which had come to rest upside down and was on fire. Brown was unresponsive and was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Officers at the scene suspected alcohol to be a factor, so they gave Brent a field sobriety test, which he failed. His blood was later drawn at the hospital to determine his blood alcohol level. Those results are not yet known.

Brent was arrested by Irving PD and booked on a second degree felony charge at 4:14 AM and is being held without bail.

Brent pled guilty to a misdemeanor DUI charge while in college ... where he and Brown were teammates.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones released a statement today, saying, "We are deeply saddened by the news of this accident and the passing of Jerry Brown. At this time, our hearts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with the members of Jerry’s family and all of those who knew him and loved him."

The incident comes just one week after Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend and then himself.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Kelly

Sadly, this is not his first DUI. Lock him up, throw away the key. What a waste. My thoughts and prayers are with Jerry Browns family.

Scott Vines

Cars don't kill people. People kill people. Oh, wait a minute...wrong week. Maybe Bob Costas and his moronic, liberal fellow travelers should also call for the banning of automobiles, the law of unintended consequences be damned.

JackDaniels

Blame the car !!! Clearly we need to ban cars !!!
If we are going to blame the gun for last week NFL tragedy, then we MUST blame the car for this weeks problem. We need a national conversation about banning cars.

Jimmy 2 Ts

Serves them right. I do NOT feel sorry for them. Too many real people out there, with real problems to feel sorry for these two yahoos. I am just glad that they didn't kill any innocents in that car wreck.

J4X

Is this where I post some stupid ass comment about Bob Costas expressing his opinion?

mskitty

I understand many of you are aggravated by Bob's comments about guns. I don't agree that they should be banned, but I do agree that we need better gun control. I have no problem with guns, it's the jackasses who should never be allowed to even look at a gun that I have a problem with. Too many senseless deaths mainly bc it doesn't take much to get one.

Preciso

The first issue to determine is who was driving.

workingman

Bob Costas! you better get on this quick,YOU IDIOT!

Nancy

I guess we better start talking about banning cars or perhaps car control laws.

jules

I feel badly for the man who died. However, I wonder how many people here have driven after drinking? I also wonder why anyone would get into a car with someone that is drunk at the wheel. I should think some responsibility lies with the decision of this person to get in the car with him. I would also suggest that it seems the two of them have been long time friends. Brown risked his own life to pull his friend from the burning car. I don't normally post to articles, however, I am amazed that people who know nothing of a situation are so quick to condemn. I would guess that Jerry Brown is living in his own personal hell for this because this man was his friend........let the first of you who has never driven after drinking cast the first stone.

Truth

THIS JUST PROVES THE NRA CORRECT. "CARS DONT KILL PEOPLE... PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE." #TRUTH!!

jules

Oops I meant Brent pulled his friend from a burning car.

Doug

young dumb and rich------- and you look for a different outcome

Ban

I hope Bob Costas makes a statement today at half time explaining how we show ban cars. What an a--hole!

Jean

It would appear that the NFL is full of thugs