« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NBA Star Matt Barnes

I Was Underpaid

For a Loooong Time

7/19/2013 8:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

071913_matt_barnes_launchAfter more than a decade in the league, NBA star Matt Barnes FINALLY signed the mega-contract he's always wanted ... telling TMZ, "I've been underpaid for a long time."

Barnes -- who recently inked a 3-year $11 million deal with the Los Angeles Clippers -- was working out at TapouT in L.A. yesterday when we congratulated him on striking it rich.

"It's been a long time coming," said Barnes ... who only made $854,389 last season.

When we asked why he thought it took so long to get such a big contract, Barnes didn't hold back -- saying, "I don't know ... I don't think they liked me."

It's unclear who the "they" is ... considering he's played for multiple NBA teams including the Lakers, the Suns, Orlando and Golden State.

FYI -- back in 2010, Barnes passed on more lucrative offers to sign with the Lakers, hoping the opportunity to play in L.A. would lead him to a bigger contract down the line. It didn't work out at the time, but after the incredible season he had with the Clips last year, it would have been hard for the team NOT to show him the money.

Congrats.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

nof

To wit p.s.

Mike Miller was just cut loose from Miami.

Who AT his contract at 11 mil over the next deuce.

Meanwhile, Matt Barnes made less than 900K?!

You see how SCREWY this planet is?

You think Miami'd let Matt BARNES go -

Not in a million years.

nof

Ate.

ATE Mike Miller's eleven million.

To clear up space and a position.

Then Miami french-kissed Mike good-bye.

Cuz Mike be white.

Smivey

Loong?

jenny

My son valet for a Clipper party at skyzone, Mr. Barnes was the only one who tipped he felt horribel he only had 20 bucks cash, when he found out how cheap the rest of the team was!!!!

KicksandGiggles

Well x-cuse the F out of me. Last time I checked, $854,389 is a hell of a lot of money to put a ball thru a hoop a few months out of the year. WTF??!!

Toallthehatersoftheworld

That's it

Toilethead

I don't like him either. He looks like a douchebag.

tal0822

u were underpaid because u sucked (suck)!!!!

TABACO

UNF***KING believable...

TABACO

I don't like him either. He looks like a douchebag.
www.dcmobile.vn

TABACO

Siêu thị điện thoại

Me

Yeah, one mush be underpaid for putting a ball in a basket while earning at least twice as much as the POTUS. Many professional entertainment/sport people seem out of any rational thought.

Shag

Extraordinarily talented player. I never understood why he wasn't at least making what he's got now.

Chris

Poor guy. How'd he feed his family on that measly salary? Glad he finally got what he's earned. Good for him.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2