« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Hilary Duff

& NHL Hubby SEPARATED

And Clearly Divorcing

1/10/2014 12:54 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Hillary-Duff-Comrie-getty
Hilary Duff and ex-NHL star Mike Comrie have just announced they've separated ... and it's pretty obvious divorce is just a matter of time.

The couple says they "have mutually decided to an amicable separation" and will "remain best friends and will continue to be in each other's lives."

26-year-old Duff and 33-year-old Comrie were married in Aug. 2010 in Santa Barbara ... and Hilary gave birth to a baby boy,  Luca, March 20, 2012.

Hilary's mom, Susan Duff, tells TMZ, the couple has already decided on joint custody of Luca.  Susan says she loves Mike but sees the breakup this way, "They're better friends than a married couple."

A rep for the couple says they are dedicated to parenting their son together.

Hilary just tweeted saying, "Mike and I are sitting here, we are so appreciative for all of your kindness & well wishes."

She continued, "Not an easy day but we're getting thru it together."

Hilary and Mike were most recently spotted together on New Year's Eve.

Hillary-Duff-Comrie-getty-nye

0110_hilary_mike_before_split_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

NOT ELMO

Hilary Duff & NHL Star Mike Comrie -- We've SEPARATED ... And Clearly Divorcing...................I'M HERE FOR YOU HILARY, ALWAYS WILLING TO NAIL YOU HARD :-)

elizabeth

Stop with the bs. If you can be "friends" you can be married. Some people give up so easily.

Jamey Hunter

Did anyone really think this would last? I assume her attraction to him was his family apparently is very wealthy. Once he retired, got fat, and was underfoot all day, I guess that was it. Sad there is a child involved though.

AngelPrincesss

Although I'm not surprised to hear about another Hollywood divorce. It's like the divorce capital of the world.. However, I wonder how much they really tried with therapy, etc... It's so easy to walk out of a marriage when you're a celebrity. Expect to hear two more big break-ups: 1. Carried Underwood and her hockey husband (sorry I forget his name). Too many times they're on the road, things get lonely, the separation takes a toll on a person's psyche.

Anon

She's been cheating on him for YEARS

thatzhotT.O

:o WOW! That's one that I didn't see coming! My intuition was wrong I had a feeling we would be hearing that she was pregnant again!

Courtney

I love how this chick can be cute one minute, pretty the next, and smoking f'n SEXY after that. She's got it all. Perfect female! And she's so sweet.

Nidhi

So sad she was the onl one who dudny go crazy!

Panther

My daughter will probably be saddened by this news. (I guess)

Cindy J

Wow. Seemed like this couple flew under the radar, too.

boricuasexygata

So sad to hear this news... But it's one of the most things we do hear about all da time ..celebrities and divorce / brakeups

Kookla

It is so obvious she's not attracted to him that's the real reason. End of story

bring back recent posts

" they are better friends than being a married couple"....gawd...I hate that term...seems too be the latest in Hollywood...just a thought...why did u marry then?????....what went down hill...the sex or money problems...never mind...doesn,t matter..just saying,...anyways...best of luck with young child and being friends while u move on into new relationships...poor kid

Iceberg

Five for fighting

Pillsbury Pancakes

Big shocker, with 3 fingers. Lemme guess- they fell madly in love, went on emotionally charged vacations, met each others family over the holidays, engaged to be married, had a wonderful wedding enjoyed by all.... Then she started expecting things of him, withholding sex. Nothing he did was good enough and he started to ignore her and call her out on her Sheizer. "But I'm Hillary duff!" She would cry. "I don't care if you're Michelle Obama, if my wife doesn't get on her knees and STFU once in awhile, I'm out!" Next thing you know, lawyers are involved...