'Tonight Show' Star David Brenner

On Death Bed

3/15/2014 7:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0315-david-brenner-getty-02David Brenner -- who holds the record for number of appearances on the "Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson -- is on his death bed  and people close to him say it's just a matter of days.

Sources close to Brenner say the 78-year-old comedian has cancer that has been aggressive ... spreading rapidly.

We're told Brenner slipped into a coma this week ... and doctors don't expect him to pull through.

David sat on Carson's couch 158 times ... and even hosted the "Tonight Show" a few times.

He was also a frequent guest on Howard Stern's radio show.

update_graphic_red_bar

4:00 PM PST -- Brenner's rep says the comedian passed away Saturday evening.

TJ

Hard to believe he is 78 years old. He has 3 children & was not successful at marriage. He fought custody battles for his children. He was amusing on Johnny Carson Show.

rolm

Dam Dam real sick news I loved this guy he was funny and smart so Sad. I am sure he lived a great life. I hope he goes soon and painlessly. May he rest in Peace. By by David

two cents

God speed to you sir

I wish they wouldn't let people suffer. Cancer is a bitch. You don't get brownie points for his much pain you endured.

bring back recent posts

Well this is sad too hear, he was one of the couple handful of comediennes who appeared on TheTonight Show and literally became a star overnight, obviously for those who are younger on here, Leno was part of this group, if you have a few minutes , google him and watch one of his last interviews, cbs news morning, great clip and I am glad I just watched it. He taped it in December/2013. Poor guy, many great laughs he shared in his lifetime.

sophiastormy

everyone dies from something.. death is a part of life

taxpayer

FYI, he was a HUGE chain-smoker. This cancer did not have to happen.

lulu2009

I had no idea this guy was 78. Time is flying! Rest well, Mr. Brenner.

Don

God Bless David,
maybe you go in peace

Bullwinkle94a

How can you tell? Is he less whiny?

Clyde T.M. Nestra

He certainly has kept his condition under the radar. But I'm also amazed he is 78 years old! He's had a good long run; I hope this last leg of the journey has not been terribly painful.

MISFIT

GODSPEED

dale12

Very sad news indeed, Godspeed Mr. Brenner...

namers

David was one of my favorite comedians from the Tonight Show.

Joe

I happen to have seen him on the Tonight show many times and i found him very funny. Hope all turns out well if possible for him and his family and if God allows it

Criss

That sucks! I used to enjoy his appearances, back when I used to listen to Stern. I'm sorry to hear about this!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments