Jonathan Majors Motion to Toss Charges Rejected ... Will Be Sentenced Soon

Published | Updated

Update

10:37 AM PT -- Jonathan Majors' attorney Priya Chaudhry tells TMZ ... "Jonathan feels disappointed by the outcome of the motion, yet he upholds respect for the process. He continues to draw strength from his friends, fans, family, and dogs, harnessing his art and creativity."

She concluded, "As he eagerly anticipates closing this chapter, he looks forward to redirecting his time and energy fully toward his family and his art."

Jonathan Majors wanted a judge to let him off the hook in his criminal case -- but the court just denied his request ... which means the conviction stands, and he'll be sentenced.

The actor's recent motion to have the guilty verdict set aside was rejected Wednesday in New York -- and that's bad news for him ... because it indicates that a looming sentencing date that's coming up next week will, in fact, go forward.

As we reported ... Majors' legal team filed to have the charges tossed, making a few different arguments as the basis for their position -- namely, they felt that the charges he was ultimately convicted of were unfairly assigned at the end of the trial.

‘Oppenheimer’ NABS AN EXTRA $2 MIL … After Japan Release

Published

"Oppenheimer" is still bringing in the Benjamins ... as the Oscar winner brought in another couple mil at the box office … only this time, in Japan.

According to Variety, the period drama -- which took home the Best Picture at the Oscars -- made its long-awaited release in Japan this weekend ... 8 months after it premiered in the States.

On its face, the Japan showing certainly seemed to be a success ... as it added an extra $2.5 million to the box office record for "Oppenheimer" -- which now stands at $965 million in ticket sales globally.

Sydney Sweeney Debunks Johnny Depp Movie Rumor Rep Shoots Down Report

Published | Updated

Sydney Sweeney seems to be laughing off the notion she's set to star in a movie with Johnny Depp -- but her team was more firm in shooting it down ... 'cause it ain't true.

Film biz insider Jeff Sneider reported Friday that Sydney had been cast in a new movie by director Marc Webb -- who did "500 Days of Summer," the Andrew Garfield 'Spider-Man' movies, etc. -- and the bigger tidbit from his report was that she costars opposite JD.

The movie Sneider said they'd both be in was called "Day Drinker" ... and he said it was being written by Alan Trezza. Sounds like he had all the deets -- however, Sydney's camp straight up denied it ... as did the actress herself.

Rebel Wilson Slams SBC Over Leaked Sex Scene ... 'A**hole Move'!!!

Published | Updated

Rebel Wilson is suggesting Sacha Baron Cohen leaked footage from their movie together that seems to contradict her claim against him ... and also saying it's way out of context.

The actress is referring to a video published Friday by Daily Mail -- which shows behind-the-scenes footage of Rebel and Sacha filming for 2016's "The Brothers Grimsby" ... and which also appears to show Rebel seemingly being onboard with the whole finger-in-butt thing.

Remember ... Rebel alleged that Sacha had sprung that scene on her out of nowhere while they were filming, but Sacha has said the opposite -- claiming she knew what was up.

Louis Gossett Jr. 1ST BLACK MAN TO WIN SUPPORTING OSCAR DIES

Published | Updated

Louis Gossett Jr., the first Black man to win a Supporting Actor Oscar, has died.

The actor's nephew said Gossett passed away Thursday night in Santa Monica. No cause of death has been revealed.

Gossett had a celebrated career, most noticeably earning his groundbreaking Academy Award for 1982's "An Officer and a Gentleman" ... which he said was a huge affirmation of his position as a Black actor in his 2010 memoir, "An Actor and a Gentleman."

Robert Downey Jr. Father & Son Bike Ride in the 'Bu

Published

Robert Downey Jr.'s lookin' ready to hit the BMX circuit ... decked out in the proper attire for an afternoon bike ride -- and doing some father-son bonding complete with a loving fist bump.

The actor -- fresh off his first Oscar win -- rode down the Malibu coast Tuesday with his 30-year-old son Indio, and we gotta say ... RDJ made a loud statement with his athletic-chic fashion, one passing motorists were sure to see.

Check out the pics, Downey's going with highlighter bright colors ... a must-have while riding a bike on the mean L.A. streets, so drivers don't accidentally plow down an acting icon. He's also got his bike helmet on -- safety first, kids!

WILL SMITH Asked About Net Worth ... But Doesn't Confirm $350M

Published

Will Smith took one question about his net worth and turned it into a philosophical session ... but when pressed on how much he might be worth, the dude deflected.

The actor was asked by Complex's Speedy Morman if it was true his net worth was $350M as listed on Google ... but Will laughed it off, saying he didn't really keep track of that stuff. So in other words, he didn't confirm or deny.

Eventually, Will dove in on the question -- but only elaborated on his mindset, saying when he was coming up in Hollywood, he was all about making money. Not so much now though.

Rebel Wilson Claims Sacha Baron Cohen Asked Her to Stick Finger Up His Butt

Published | Updated

Rebel Wilson's claims against Sacha Baron Cohen are becoming more clear -- because an excerpt from her new book is out ... and she details a pretty disturbing story about him.

The actress's new memoir, 'Rebel Rising,' is due out in a few days ... and People Mag obtained an excerpt -- which features descriptions of things Rebel claims happened on the set of their 2016 flick 'The Brothers Grimsby' ... including a lot of inappropriate behavior.

She writes, "It felt like every time I’d speak to SBC, he’d mention that he wanted me to go naked in a future scene. I was like, 'Ha, I don’t do nudity, Sacha.'"

Diddy Home Raids Ridley Scott Caught Up in Chaos ... Blocked From Home

Published | Updated

Director Ridley Scott appeared seriously frustrated after he was inadvertently caught in the crossfire, figuratively, during the federal raid on Diddy's Los Angeles-area home.

Check out the new photos showing the Oscar nominee getting out of his vehicle Monday after law enforcement blocked him from getting to his home in Holmby Hills ... not a great day to be Diddy's neighbor.

As police taped off the neighborhood street near Diddy's $40 million mansion, the filmmaker was spotted stuck in traffic amid the chaos.

'ROAD HOUSE' REBOOT ROWDY PORTRAYAL OF KEY WEST is Blasphemy!!!

Published | Updated

Jake Gyllenhaal's new flick, "Road House," packs one helluva punch ... but Key West's Mayor ain't too thrilled with how their sunny paradise has been portrayed on-screen.

Teri Johnston, the mayor of Key West, tells TMZ ... while she hasn't caught the film, she's not pleased with its rowdy, drug-filled, and crime-ridden portrayal of the Florida Keys ... saying that might've been The Keys in the '70s and '80s, but it's a whole new ball game in 2024!

Mayor Johnston lays down the facts ... telling us 90% of Key West residents are transplants  -- representing a diverse mix of environmentalists, artists, business owners, teachers, firefighters, and police officers.

Anne Hathaway I Couldn't Get a Job Post-Oscars ... Nolan Threw Me Lifeline

Published | Updated

Anne Hathaway says people in the public really didn't like her after she won her Oscar -- so much so, studios steered clear ... that is, until Christopher Nolan came knocking (again).

The actress opened up about to Vanity Fair about all the hate she was receiving in the early 2010s -- which reached its peak in 2013 when she took home a statuette for her role in "Les Misérables" ... when she gave a heartfelt (but to some, cringe-worthy) acceptance speech.

This phenomenon -- known at the time as "Hathahate" -- had actually been building up for a few years, going back to 2011 when she hosted the Oscars with James Franco. Even then, people were saying they found her a little too sincere, awkward and "annoying."

Kate Winslet Infamous 'Titanic' Door ... Sells For a Boatload!!!

Published | Updated

The door Kate Winslet infamously clung to at the end of "Titanic" has sold for a hefty price ... beating out other impressive film memorabilia at an auction.

The slab of wood that played a role in Leonardo DiCaprio's onscreen death recently sold for an impressive $718,750 during Heritage Auctions’ Treasures from Planet Hollywood event -- making it the priciest sale at the auction.

The door -- which is actually a doorframe, according to the auction's notes -- wasn't the only "Titanic" memorabilia sold at the event. The pale purple and pink chiffon dress Kate wore as Rose for most of the film's sinking scenes was also sold ... but only went for $125k.

TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET TAKES OVER NYC AS BOB DYLAN!!!

Published

Timothée Chalamet's at it again ... channeling his inner Bob Dylan while filming for the legend's biopic, "A Complete Unknown," in New York.

You gotta see the vid ... the 28-year-old absolutely nailed the singer-songwriter's signature style Sunday in downtown Manhattan, rocking a brown suede jacket, green pants, shades, and perfectly messy hair while stepping out of a car with a cigarette in hand.

The 'Dune' actor brings Dylan's swagger to life crossing the street outside El Quijote, the restaurant inside the Hotel Chelsea -- the very spot where the musical legend found his inspo!

Sacha Baron Cohen Denies Rebel Wilson's Claims ... Teased in New Memoir

Published | Updated

update

7:11 AM PT -- A rep for Sacha Baron Cohen tells TMZ … "While we appreciate the importance of speaking out, these demonstrably false claims are directly contradicted by extensive detailed evidence, including contemporaneous documents, film footage, and eyewitness accounts from those present before, during and after the production of The Brothers Grimsby."

Rebel Wilson claims Sacha Baron Cohen is trying to make her keep his name out of her book as an "a**hole" in showbiz -- and she suggests he's trying to muzzle her.

The actress teased that one of the chapters in her forthcoming memoir, 'Rebel Rising,' will name a douchebag in Hollywood that she says she had a bad experience with -- teasing the prospect of identifying this alleged jerk nearly 2 weeks ago ahead of her book's release.

Welp, late Sunday ... she got ahead of her own deadline and called out this person directly on social media -- claiming Sacha's the guy, with some other choice words for him as well.

'Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire' Hot at Box Office ... Drop Off in Week 2???

Published | Updated

"Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire" fired up the box office this weekend, and the whole franchise passed an impressive milestone ... but some are saying producers shouldn't count their ghosts before they materialize.

According to reports, 'Ghostbusters' is projected to make $45.2 million in its opening weekend domestically -- taking the top spot by a wide margin over some incumbent champions of the theater.

Meanwhile, the movie got off to a mediocre start internationally ... taking home just $16.1 million in 25 global markets -- still, enough for an impressive opening weekend total of $61 million.

George Lazenby Aaron Taylor-Johnson Can Handle 007 ... And All The Ladies, Too!!!

Published

Aaron Taylor-Johnson gettin' his license to kill it as James Bond from a former 007 ... who tells us ATJ's got the toughness to handle the secret agent life.

George Lazenby -- who played Bond in 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" -- gave Aaron his seal of approval ... saying the 33-year-old can handle the stunts, and all the ladies who love a man in a tux.

Worth noting, Aaron's already got a leading lady of his own -- director/producer Sam Taylor-Johnson ... but we get where George is goin'.

Lazenby adds he's pretty sure Aaron doesn't have the part yet ... 'cause when he auditioned for the part back in the 1960s, he went through a bunch of different tests and auditions before he won the role.

James Bond has gone totally international now, according to George ... who points out the character's been played by people of different nationalities over the past 60 years, including a Scot, a Welshman, an Irishman, multiple Englishmen, and George himself, who is Australian.

Because of that variety of national origins, Lazenby says he's fine with wherever the actor happens to hail from ... as long as they do the character justice.