« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Red Sox John Lackey

Divorcing Wife Battling Cancer

9/26/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0926_lackey_ex
Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has filed to divorce his wife, Krista ... who is in the middle of battling breast cancer.

Lackey filed on August 30, according to court docs in Texas, claiming "the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities." Krista and John got married in November, 2008.

Sources close to the family tell TMZ ... Krista underwent a double mastectomy back in March and underwent chemo as recently as June.

The divorce petition says John and Krista had a prenup. It also says Lackey has "separate property" he wants to keep for himself.

Lackey filed the divorce papers using only his and Krista's initials -- a tactic Tony Parker and Eva Longoria ... and Sandra Bullock and Jesse James also used in their Texas divorces.

It's unclear why Lackey -- who's struggled on the field all season long -- didn't wait til the off-season, about a month from now, to start divorce proceedings.

update_bar
4:33 PM: The Red Sox just released a statement on Lackey's behalf -- telling us, "John Lackey is dealing with a deeply personal family issue, and it is one the Red Sox do not feel is appropriate for public debate.  The Red Sox request that John and Krista’s privacy be respected."

0713_stars_split_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Ace

It said in the article she had a mastectomy in March. Maybe he had planned on filing divorce then but waited 6 months until now. This whole article was designed to make him look bad and cause controversy. The headline should have read: "Mean husband leaves dying wife".

The Real JJ

As a BoSox fan (and yes I'm nervous about the playoffs) this is whats best. This has been hard on him all year and her of course. I think he wanted to do this now because he doesn't want to have this burden if they don't make it to the playoffs and hopefully through to the finals, that it was his or her fault. Plus she doesnt need more stress because alot of fans don't care about personal problems they care about the millions they see you getting and not living up to it.

John 8:32

This guy's last name is apropos...

Professor Chaos

He looks more like a catcher to me than a pitcher. Word on the street is he loves it in the ass.

jc

He's a miserable cuss with below average talant who rants his teamates and dissrespects his manager on the field,just a no good lil sore sport,not familiar with his wifes medical or their personal predicament,still bet he's the prob there too..

Everett

Thats sad to hear under any cir****tances, but I really hate throwing the the "Cancer Card" regardless, and I hope that had nothing to do with the timing and it really was just a victim of cir****tance.

Either way, no one deserves to be in a relationship they are not willing to give 100% in, cancer or not. I hope for the best.

FLsportsNE

How long is he supposed to stay with his wife, before it's ok with you people and the Court of Public Opinion? She had her last chemo in June. It's five years before she will be considered cancer free or cured. So how long does he have to stay with her? None of you know what goes on in his personal life, but you are going to pass judgement anyway? I have treated cancer patients that are just about the most miserable people you have ever met. I had one with reoccurring Melanoma who treated everyone including myself and her husband like garbage. It was so bad he finally divorced her. None of you know what you would do until it happens to you, so give the guy a break on the personal life.

Chris

Why are people so quick to judge him? He has to stay with her because she has cancer? What if she is just a disgusting person who treats him horribly now that she is sick? This DOES happen to people.

This country is ridiculous in that it rushes to judgement. I shouldn't be surprised however when it also is the place where marriage and divorce are so unfairly swayed in the direction of females.

Redsox Fan

Wow I never liked John Lackey before the Sox signed him. Now with his wife being sick and John having the worst ever record of a staring picther ever in RedSox history I gave him a pass for being a caring husband ? What a S*** Bag the worst pitcher the worst husband. I hope she gets everything in the divorce !!

moxie

RoRo Walton

I wouldn't worry much if I were her. She's a very pretty woman. She will have no problem finding someone else. He might have difficulites. He's a douche bag.

moxie

I look forward to the day that some "celebrity wife" files for divorce, after the husband loses his NUTS to cancer. Oh, and don't forget the prenup.

seb

all you idiots should stfu unless you know the full story..

Brandon

Maybe she's cheating on him? With the doctor?

Anna D.

He is following his manager Terry Francona who is also divorcing his wife. He moved out on his lovely wife in May
& is already dating.