Jon Jones Hearing Proved I'm No Drug Cheat ... I'll Respect 1 Year Ban
Jon Jones says he is "very pleased" arbitrators in his doping case found that he's "not a drug cheat" -- despite the fact he tested positive for 2 banned substances.
After the UFC star failed a drug test in June, he faced a 1-year ban from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. The case went to an independent panel of arbitrators which determined his fate.
Although he was given the max punishment, Jones is taking solace in the fact arbitrators believed his story about innocently taking a sexual enhancement tablet that contained banned substances.
Jones had claimed he relied on his teammate who said it could enhance his sexual pleasure -- and admitted he didn't properly clear the pill with USADA.
In the docs, the arbitrators called his actions "reckless" -- but ultimately decided he is not a "drug cheat."
Now, Jones has issued a statement saying, "Being cleared of these allegations was very important to me."
"I have always maintained my innocence and I am very happy I have been cleared in any wrong doing pursuant to the allegations made that I had intentionally taken a banned substance."
"I have worked hard in and outside of the octagon to regain my image and my fighting career and will take these next eight months to continue my training and personal growth both as a man and a athlete."
Jones says he will not fight the ban -- and thanks his fans, teammates, coaches, sponsors and to the UFC for their continued support.
See also
Jon Jones Hit With 1 Year Ban For Failed Drug Test
Jon Jones won't be stepping into the Octagon until next year ... 'cause the UFC fighter was just slapped with a year suspension resulting from a failed drug test before UFC 200.
USADA announced the ruling Monday morning ... saying they "determined that Jones should receive the maximum one-year period of ineligibility for his anti-doping violation."
The 29-year-old superstar tested positive for clomiphene and letrozole -- anti-estrogen agents that are often used after a cycle of steroids to counter to the negative side affects.
Traces of the drugs were found in a urine test from June 16, 2016 -- an out of competition test leading up to UFC 200.
Jones was set to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 on July 9th ... but he was pulled from the card 3 days before the event due to the failed test.
It's not all bad news for Jones. The suspension was backdated to the day the failed test was made public ... meaning Jones is eligible to return July 6th, 2017.
Jones still faces possible punishment from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
See also
BJ Penn No Charges In Sexual Assault Case 'Insufficient Evidence'
-
EXCLUSIVE
- 30 shares
UFC legend BJ Penn is off the hook in his sexual assault case -- with prosecutors telling TMZ Sports there is not sufficient evidence to prove he attacked a woman last year.
As we previously reported, cops in Hawaii launched an investigation into Penn after a former writer on his website claimed BJ forced himself onto his GF in August 2015 and forcibly removed her clothes.
Penn adamantly denied the allegations and claimed the writer made the whole thing up as payback for being fired from BJ's website.
The case was kicked to the County of Hawaii prosecuting attorney -- who tells us the case has officially been declined for prosecution because we "don't have sufficient evidence to charge the case."
See also
Joe Rogan Concerns Over Ronda Rousey Comeback She's a Legend, But ...
-
EXCLUSIVE
- 44 shares
UFC announcer Joe Rogan has nothing but respect for Ronda Rousey -- but says he doesn't like hearing when fighters talk about the next phase of their career before they're done in the Octagon.
Everyone knows Ronda is one of Joe's favorite fighters -- and he heaped heavy praise on her at LAX this weekend. But when we brought up Ronda's recent announcement that UFC 207 would be one of her last fights before focusing on movies, Joe expressed some concern.
"It's exciting to see her to come back if she wants to come back, but whenever someone starts saying a couple more fights and then I'll go into movies, I go, 'Man, I don't like hearing that.' 'Cause when you have one foot out the door, you should probably put both feet out the door."
Rogan added, "But she might not REALLY have one foot out the door."
We also asked Joe for his thoughts on a possible Rousey vs. Cyborg matchup -- and shocker, he's all about it!
See also
Ronda Rousey BLASTED BY BOXING LEGEND ... You're Bad Role Model & Stupid
Ronda Rousey just got verbally annihilated by a female fighting goddess -- ex-boxing champ Christy Martin who ripped Ronda for being a bad role model, a bad champion and an idiot.
48-year-old Martin -- one of the greatest female boxers of all time -- went off on Rousey to FightHype.com ... saying she wishes she was 10 years younger so she could teach the UFC superstar a lesson.
Check out why Christy thinks Ronda will never set foot in the Octagon again ... despite having a scheduled fight in December.
#ShotsFired
See also
UFC's Cowboy Cerrone Prediction For UFC 205 ... Trump Will Be Prez-Elect!
UFC star Cowboy Cerrone says he's 100% sure about one thing regarding UFC 205 -- which he's fighting in -- and that's by time it happens Donald Trump will be the President-elect of the U.S.A.
Cerrone has an Octagon brawl on November 12 against Kelvin Gastelum ... but when we got him out in L.A. we wanted to know his thoughts about a bigger fight happening that week ... Trump vs. Clinton.
Check out the clip -- Cowboy makes it totally clear he's team "Make America Great Again," saying that by the time he arrives in NYC for the fight ... the Donald will be drinking celebratory champagne.
BTW -- Cowboy ain't the only UFC star down with Trump. If you remember ... his boss, Dana White, has actually stumped for Trump ... giving a speech for him at the RNC.
Way to score some points with the head man, Cowboy.
See also
Greg Hardy Training with Ex-UFC Fighter ... Sleeping at Gym
Greg Hardy has been training his ass off as an MMA fighter -- linking up with one of the top gyms in the country where he's been living and sleeping while working under the tutelage of an ex-UFCer.
TMZ Sports has learned ... the 28-year-old ex-NFL star has been training with American Top Team in Florida -- which Dana White once hailed as one of the top 5 MMA teams in the country.
We spoke with one of Hardy's trainers, Mike Brown -- a former UFC fighter who actually fought and BEAT Urijah Faber TWICE in his MMA career.
Brown says Hardy has been living at the training facility -- "He's staying in the dorms we have upstairs. It's for guys who are really in intensive training."
While at ATT, Hardy has been working out with legit MMA studs like King Mo -- who seems to have taken a liking to the ex-Pro Bowler.
So, how does Hardy look?
"He seems to have the drive and desire," Brown says ... noting that Hardy has been taking classes in multiple disciplines to hone his skills.
"He took boxing last night, jiu-jitsu today. He was training with Steve Mocco, our wrestling coach, who was in the Olympics."
As far as taking a pro fight, Brown says there's a shot he could debut in 2017 taking a low-level pro fight or an amateur fight. Stay tuned ...
See also
Miesha Tate If Ronda Loses At 207 ... She's Done With UFC
Miesha Tate says the Ronda Rousey farewell fighting tour might be pretty short ... like, one fight short ... telling TMZ Sports Rousey will retire immediately if she loses to Amanda Nunes at 207.
Little backstory ... Tate and Rousey hate each other ... and pretty much always have.
So, when we got Miesha out in L.A. we wanted to know how she felt about the news Ronda's career is winding down ... did she shed a tear, or pop some champagne when she heard?
Apparently she did neither ... and that's because she saw the whole thing coming. In fact, Tate says if Ronda loses her next fight, she'll quit right there.
There's obviously no love lost between the two ladies ... but still, if you've heard Ronda talk lately you kinda get the feeling Tate is onto something here.
See also
WWE's Stephanie McMahon I'm Gunning for Ronda Rousey When She Retires from UFC
Ronda Rousey's MMA career is almost over, but her PRO WRESTLING career could just be getting started -- because Stephanie McMahon says she's got her sights set on the UFC legend.
Vince's daughter -- who also happens to be a minority owner and a HUGE honcho with the company -- was in NYC when we asked if the WWE had already begun the courting process.
FYI, Rousey is a BIG pro wrestling fan -- and not only made a cameo last year -- but regularly attends pro wrestling events around the country.
And with Stephanie telling us the WWE is setting a goal to have an all-women's main event at WrestleMania one day ... we can't think of a better headliner.
See also
Dana White Yup, Ronda's ALMOST Done With UFC ... She Wants To Be A Movie Star
-
EXCLUSIVE
- 1.4K shares
Dana White just made it official ... Ronda Rousey's time in the UFC is winding down ... telling TMZ Sports he's spoken to her at length about the end of her career in the Octagon.
Ronda dropped the bombshell news during a recent appearance on 'Ellen' telling a shocked crowd that her upcoming fight at UFC 207 would be one of her last.
We talked to Dana out in Beverly Hills ... and asked if he's talked to RR about hanging it up (he's her boss after all) ... and White delivered the bad news ... it's real, and it's happening, just not quite yet.
Bonus UFC nugget? Dana tells us if one of those last fights will be against Cyborg Santos ... check out the clip.
See also
Ronda Rousey THE END IS NEAR 'This Is One Of My Last Fights'
Ronda Rousey's days in the Octagon are coming to an end ... so says the UFC superstar who just announced that UFC 207 is "definitely one of my last fights."
Rousey sat down with Ellen (airs Tuesday) and was asked about her MMA future -- and the 29-year-old made it clear she's thinking about the next phase of her life.
As for her upcoming fight against Amanda Nunes on Dec. 30th, Ronda says she's in killer shape and ready to throw down -- "I finally feel like super ninja good."
See also
UFC's Michael Bisping I'll Beat GSP with One Arm ... But Bring On Nick Diaz!
UFC superstar Michael Bisping has a message for Georges St-Pierre -- I'LL FIGHT YOU WITH ONE ARM!!!!
The middleweight champ was out in Burbank on Friday when he told us what really went down behind the scenes with GSP -- and why the two couldn't get a deal done for UFC 206 in Toronto.
But Bisping's past that now -- he wants a piece of Nick Diaz ... claiming the fight would be PERFECT for 206 and they could both make a ton of money in the process.
Nick ... thoughts????
See also
Cody Garbrandt Dominick Cruz Is Old and Busted 'Hope He Makes It to the Fight'
Dominick Cruz is a decrepit fossil with busted hands and bad feet ... so says Cody Garbrandt who says, "The dude's so old, hopefully he makes it to the fight."
Garbrandt appeared on the "TMZ Sports" TV show (airs Friday on FS1) -- and explained why he's super confident he'll knock Cruz clean out when they face off at UFC 207 in December.
Cruz was on the show earlier this week and did some smack talkin' of his own -- claiming he's gonna beat Cody so badly the 25-year-old will "beg" to end the fight.
This is gonna be fun!
See also
UFC's Anthony Pettis Car Attackers Are Cowards ... They Will Be Punished
-
Breaking News
- 3.1K shares
Anthony Pettis says his life -- and the lives of his family members -- were in immediate danger when his cars were set on fire Thursday morning ... and he vows retribution.
As we previously reported, cops are on the hunt for whoever went to the UFC star's Milwaukee home around 1 AM and torched 3 vehicles on Pettis' driveway in the middle of the night.
Pettis is now commenting on the seriousness of the situation -- "My life as well as my loved ones were put in danger. I cannot understand why someone would want to hurt myself or my family."
He adds, "I am grateful that no one was harmed by this cowardly act."
"I will do everything I can to ensure that we find out who committed this crime and that they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law."
Pettis is also reaching out to his neighborhood -- saying, "I really hope the city that I rep has my back on this one and helps by reporting anything they know about this."
"I will not be defeated."
See also
Olympian Kayla Harrison MMA Help from Ronda Rousey ... But Would I Fight Her?
Olympic judo superstar Kayla Harrison says Ronda Rousey has given her "a lot of help" when it comes to making the transition into MMA -- but the real question ... would she ever take a fight against her old friend?
TMZ Sports spoke with 26-year-old Harrison -- a 2-time Olympic gold medalist in judo -- who says she trained with Rousey every day for 7 years as they fought their way to the top of the sport.
Now, with Harrison signing a contract with the World Series of Fighting -- she says she'll reflect on the advice she got from her old friend as she begins her training.
So, who's Kayla's dream MMA fight? We asked ... wait'll you hear her answer!
See also
Dominick Cruz Cody Garbrandt Will 'Beg Me' for Mercy
Dominick Cruz has a message for Cody "No Love" Garbrandt -- he's going to torture him so badly at UFC 207, Cody's going to "beg me" to end the fight.
Cruz -- the reigning UFC bantamweight champ -- joined the guys on the "TMZ Sports" TV show (airs Thursday night on FS1) and let the insults fly on his next opponent.
FYI, Cody's 10-0 with 9 knockouts -- and vows to break Cruz's jaw.
Cruz says he's not afraid -- insulted Cody's intelligence -- and then told us why "No Love" will be begging for the champ to put him out of his misery.
Pretty violent stuff.
Watch the entire interview tonight on FS1.