TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Kurt Busch

I Can't Terrorize My Ex-GF

She's a Trained Assassin

12/16/2014 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

121614_patricia_driscoll_launchKurt Busch's ex-girlfriend is in court to get a restraining order against him -- but the NASCAR driver is fighting back with what he says is proof she's a certified badass who couldn't possibly be afraid of him.

Patricia Driscoll testified in a Dover, Delaware court Tuesday about Kurt's alleged attack on her after one of his races in September. As we've reported ... Driscoll claims he choked her inside his motorcoach.

But sources close to Busch tell TMZ Sports his legal team has submitted a YouTube video of Driscoll as evidence. The video entitled "Pocket Commando" -- was posted earlier this year, and shows her at a gun range, showing off marksman skills and talking about the company she owns ... Frontline Defense Systems. 

Driscoll calls herself a "commando mommy" on the video ... which we're told was shot and edited to pitch her as a reality TV star.

We're told Busch's attorneys will argue that Driscoll is a "trained assassin" who would have no reason to fear Busch. In fact, during Tuesday's hearing Busch's attorneys called her a "mercenary" out to ruin his career. Busch adamantly denies the attack. 

It's likely the video will be played in court on Wednesday.

Kurt Busch

I Did NOT Choke My Ex-GF

11/7/2014 12:46 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1107-kurt-busch-patricia-driscoll-getty-01Kurt Busch is adamant he did not lay a single finger on his ex-girlfriend during an argument back in September ... claiming she's making the whole thing up in a shameless cash grab ... sources close to Busch tell TMZ Sports.  

As we previously reported, the NASCAR driver is being investigated for an alleged domestic assault on his ex Patricia Driscoll at Dover International Speedway on the weekend of Sept. 26th. 

Sources close to Busch tell us ... the couple had broken up about a week before the incident -- and Busch was surprised when she showed up to his motorhome. 

We're told ... Busch acknowledges they got into an argument -- but claims it never got physical. 

Sources tell us ... Driscoll has told authorities Busch choked her inside the motorhome. 

TMZ Sports spoke with Busch's attorney Rusty Hardin who tells us, "This allegation is a complete fabrication by a woman who has refused to accept the end of a relationship and Mr. Busch vehemently denies her allegations in every respect."

He adds, "The Dover Police Department has been informed that Mr. Busch will fully cooperate with their investigation and he expects to be vindicated when the entire truth of the situation comes to light."

And there's this -- we're told ... days after the incident, Busch's lawyer was contacted by a person claiming to represent Driscoll looking to negotiate a monetary settlement. 

We're told that attorney resigned from representing Driscoll just days later. 

We also spoke with police who tell us Driscoll didn't report the alleged assault until Nov. 5th -- six weeks after the incident. 

Attempts to contact Driscoll have been unsuccessful.

Michael Waltrip

NASCAR Fight Was Real

... Not Scripted For Ratings

11/4/2014 8:08 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

110414_michael_waltrip_launchThe trackside brawl between Jeff Gordon and Brad Keselowski was 100% AUTHENTIC ... and not a scripted stunt to get ratings ... so says fellow driver Michael Waltrip

Waltrip was at LAX on his way out of Hollywood after being eliminated from "Dancing with the Stars" -- when we asked about the bloody altercation at Texas Motor Speedway. 

Of course, there's talk NASCAR put the drivers up to the fight to get a boost in ratings ... which are reportedly down 6% from last year.

But Michael ain't buyin' it -- telling us the rage couldn't be more real. Check out  the clip. 

Tony Stewart

I Don't Need to Talk to Kevin Ward's Family

... I Have Closure

9/29/2014 8:11 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

092914_tony_stewart_launch
Tony Stewart says he has not spoken with Kevin Ward Jr.'s family -- and doesn't feel he needs to -- explaining that he already has closure because he knows the deadly crash was an accident.

43-year-old Stewart just took questions from reporters ... and said he's offered to speak with Kevin's family but explained, "I don't need to talk to them for closure."

"I know what happened and I know that it was an accident."

Tony says, "I'm willing to talk to [Kevin's family] if it helps them ... I'm available if and when they want to talk."

Tony says he regrets choosing to race on August 9th -- and says he wishes he never got in the car.

"The first 3 or 4 days [after the accident], I didn't want to see anybody," Stewart said ... explaining that he basically went into seclusion following the incident. 

He also says he doesn't know when he will race again -- but says today's news conference is a huge step toward re-entering the racing world. 

Tony says despite the accident, he still "loves" racing -- and says it's his passion.  

Kevin Ward

Family Considering

Lawsuit Against Tony Stewart

9/24/2014 2:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0911-tony-steward-kevin-ward-jr-facebook-getty-01
Tony Stewart is off the hook criminally in the death of Kevin Ward Jr.  -- but Ward's family is threatening to drag the NASCAR superstar into court with a civil lawsuit.

Ward's family members say they are infuriated because they believe Stewart "intentionally tried to intimidate Kevin by accelerating and sliding his car towards him, causing the tragedy."   

As TMZ Sports first reported, the Ontario County Grand Jury in New York decided not to charge Stewart after reviewing evidence from accident reconstruction experts.

The family is adamant Stewart was at fault. They refused to comment about toxicology tests which showed Kevin had marijuana in his system at the time of his death.

Tony Stewart

CLEARED Of Criminal Charges

Kevin Ward was High on Weed

9/24/2014 10:23 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0924-tony-stewart-getty-02

NASCAR star Tony Stewart will NOT face criminal charges in the death of Kevin Ward Jr. ... and in a shocking revelation, we now know Ward was high on weed at the time of his death. 

TMZ Sports broke the story...the Ontario County Grand Jury in New York decided not to charge Stewart, after reviewing evidence from several accident reconstruction experts.

On the night of his death, Ward Jr. had gotten out of his car and was aggressively marching toward Stewart's car -- when he was struck.  Now we know drug tests on the body produced proof Ward was under the influence of marijuana.

There was talk that Stewart was angry with Ward Jr. and may have intentionally veered his car into him -- but apparently the grand jury feels it was nothing more than a freak accident. 

We're told the enhanced video showed Stewart did not make any sudden or suspicious moves on the track before his car collided with Ward.

Helio Castroneves

NO CHUBBY DRIVERS IN INDY

... 'Only NASCAR'

8/29/2014 7:08 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

082814_helio_castronveses_launch
IndyCar drivers = lean, mean driving machines. 

NASCAR drivers = fatties. 

... this according to IndyCar stud Helio Castroneves. 

You gotta watch this clip -- Helio is hilarious ... and picks a "Talladega Nights" style feud with NASCAR ...starting with their "beer bellies."

Jean Girard would be proud.

Tony Stewart

Back On The Track

1st Race Since Deadly Incident

8/28/2014 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0828-tony-stewart-getty-01
Tony Stewart will get behind the wheel of his NASCAR ride again -- 3 weeks after his tragic on-track incident that killed fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr

Tony's team, Stewart-Haas Racing, just announced he will be driving his #14 car this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Stewart sat out the last 3 NASCAR Sprint Cup races.

Cops have said it could be several more weeks before they determine whether Stewart will face any criminal charges for Ward's death.

Stewart sat out races that were critical, since he's battling to make the Chase -- NASCAR's playoff season. Presumably, he's taken the time to mentally recover from the incident -- which he called a tragedy.

Since then NASCAR put a new rule in place that requires drivers to stay in their cars after an on-track collision -- barring any immediate danger -- until safety officials get to them.

NASCAR

New Rule After Tony Stewart Incident

STAY IN YOUR CAR

8/15/2014 6:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0815-tony-kevin-getty-facebook2
NASCAR is laying down new laws after Tony Stewart's deadly accident, and the new bottom line is simple -- after a wreck drivers should stay in their cars and stay away from other moving cars.

NASCAR VP of competition Robin Pemberton announced the rule change this morning and acknowledged it is the direct result of Stewart driving over Kevin Ward Jr. during an dirt track race last Saturday night.

The new rule is drivers who get into a wreck should not get out of the car or remove any safety equipment until safety personnel tell them to -- and once a driver is out of the car he or she should not walk around on the track or approach moving vehicles.

The only exception would be if there's fire or smoke in the car ... then, obviously, drivers should get the hell out. 

Ward and Stewart were not in a NASCAR governed race the night of the incident, but Pemberton encouraged all motor sports leagues to follow NASCAR's lead and institute similar rules of their own.

Tony Stewart Crash

Sheriff Has Seen Second Crash Video

Still No Charges

8/11/2014 2:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

081114_tony_stewart_presser_launch_v2
Ontario County Sheriff Philip C. Povero said he has now reviewed a second video from the fatal crash this weekend involving Tony Stewart ... but still does not see anything that indicates this was a criminal act.

Stewart has yet to be charged in the accident that claimed the life Saturday night of 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. Povero said the autopsy on Ward was completed and the cause of death was massive blunt trauma. 

Povero said the Sheriff's Department is still investigating. He said they are analyzing the second camera angle to see if it shows anything different, but right now there are "no facts" so far that show there was any criminal behavior on Stewart's part.

'Purge: Anarchy' Star

Tony Stewart Is Innocent!

And Here's Why ...

8/11/2014 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

081114_frank_grillo_launch
Don't blame Tony Stewart for the accident that killed Kevin Ward Jr. -- blame Ward ... at least that's the way the star of "Purge: Anarchy" sees it.

Frank Grillo broke down the horrific video of the Canandaigua Speedway tragedy with us Sunday night outside Madeo -- and he immediately stated, "Totally not Tony Stewart's fault!"

There's been a ton of speculation Stewart lost his temper, and cops are still investigating ... but Grillo explains why he thinks Tony did the best he could, under the circumstances.

Interesting theory.

081014_tony_stewart_launch

Tony Stewart

'Emotional' Night

Before Decision to Pull Out of Race

8/10/2014 9:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

081014_stewart_presser_launch
update_graphic_red_bar
10:50 AM PT -- Tony Stewart just released a statement, saying … "There aren't  words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr.  It's a very emotional time for all involved, and it is the reason I've decided not to participate in today's race at Watkins Glen."

He added, "My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and everyone affected by this tragedy."
update_grey_gray_bar
Tony Stewart
is just trying to "get through today" … according to the exec from his racing team who announced Stewart was bowing out of today's NASCAR Sprint Cup Race.

Greg Zipadelli, a V.P. at Stewart-Haas Racing, was visibly emotional as he held the news conference in Watkins Glens, NY … describing Stewart's state of mind hours after he hit and killed fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr. during a race at a nearby track. 

Zipadelli talked about Stewart's decision not to race today -- the team initially said he would -- calling it, "the right thing to do."

Reporters were instructed not to ask about the investigation into Ward's death.

081014_stewart_presser2_launch

Tony Stewart

Hits and Kills Another Driver

During Dirt Track Race

8/10/2014 1:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

081014_tony_stewart_launchupdate_graphic_red_bar7:45 AM PT -- Stewart has pulled out of today's Sprint Cup race. His team says Regan Smith will fill-in behind the wheel of Stewart's #14 car.
update_grey_gray_bar
NASCAR superstar Tony Stewart drove his race car into another driver Saturday night … sending the man to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Kevin Ward Jr. had gotten out of his #13 car after an on-track accident involving Stewart during a sprint car race (dirt track) in Canandaigua, NY.

20-year-old Ward appeared angry after the wreck and attempted to point and yell at Stewart as he drove past in his #14 car on the next lap -- but Tony ended up hitting him … sending Ward flying down the track.

Hours after the accident, cops said they were investigating Ward's death as an "on-track" incident, and not a criminal matter. But it could turn into one if the evidence warrants. 

Stewart was supposed to race Sunday in the Sprint Cup race in Watkins Glen, NY.

0810-kevin-ward-jr-SUB-getty-01

Around The Web